Monday, June 7, 2010

Joy Fold Card

I was looking for something interesting to demonstrate to the ladies at one of my workshops, I knew there were some "old hands" in the group as well as people with less experience so wanted something that would be interesting enough to impress but easy enough to complete. The Joy Fold Card was what I decided to go with. I googled for instructions and away I went and this is what I came out with ...
I used Kraft as the base of the card and sponged with brocade blue. I used the Bella Bleu DSP for this one (my first attempt was in hot pinks and purple - just some off cuts as a trial run and I have to say I like the blues far more lol).

The Joy part of the card is that its actually 2 cards put together, the main card and a smaller 3" x 3" card that overlaps it. Here it is with both parts of the card open. In looking at this I could have used more DSP on the inside as the plain Kraft is perhaps a bit dull, either that or stamped a complimentary image on them. Anyway the smaller card opens up to reveal your hand written message ...

For the front I chose the 2-step bird punch - why? because I like the punch and this is just another way to show it off. I sponged the back of the bird with blue to highlight it, and the chest of the bird with Apricot Appeal as often birds have light coloured feathers on their chests. I also sponged the top of the wing for some added dimension.
In the corner of this picture you can just see the "Thank You" stamped onto the large oval and scallop oval. This was mounted on the base and far corner with a double layer of dimensionals - this allows it to stand up off the page far enough to have the corner of the little card slip behind it to keep the card closed.

For me this card was showing the how the basic techniques of card making can be used to very good effect. Overall I was really happy with the end result. The ladies at the workshop appeared to enjoy making theirs also, which was the true aim of the exercise.

This is a great way to use small layouts and display effectively on a regular sized card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to write them.